Frequently Asked Questions

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorization to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport. It is for short terms stays for either tourism or business visitor activities.

To apply for an ETA online you must be outside Australia, and hold a passport one of the ETA eligible countries prior to arriving in Australia. The details you provide in you online ETA application need to be exactly the same as they appear in your passport and you must use the same passport that is linked to your online ETA application when you travel.

No. Eligible passport holders of all ages can apply for an ETA.

Tourist visa Business short visa
Multiple entries for up to one year Multiple entries for up to one year
Stay up to three (3) months for each visit Stay up to three (3) months for each visit
Tourist activities only Business needs
Applicant should be outside Australia Applicant should be outside Australia
A passport holder of a ETA eligible country A passport holder of a ETA eligible country
Holidays General business or employment enquiries
Recreation Investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing business contracts and deals
Visiting family and friends Conferences, trade fairs, seminars
Employment Employment
Long term studies Long term studies

An ETA will allow you to stay in Australia for a maximum of three (3) months for each visit.

You can enter Australia as many times as you want during a twelve (12) month period from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.

  • You leave Australia by air within eight (8) hours of the scheduled time of your arrival.
  • You hold confirmed onward bookings and documents necessary to entry the country of your destination.
  • You stay in the transit lounge at an airport.

If you have one or more criminal convictions where the total sentence (served or not), is less than twelve (12) months, you may still obtain an ETA. If your combined sentence(s) are twelve (12) months or more, you should make a paper based application to you countries nearest Australia Embassy.

No. You do not need to arrange any air ticket or hotel booking before apply for an ETA

Yes. Children of all ages must make separate ETA application. Even if your children travel on your passport, they will need an individual ETA application.

Yes, anytime a new passport is issue to you, whether your passport was lost, stolen or expired, a new ETA needs to be issued

It is not required to print out the confirmation that we email to you, but it can certainly help the airlines find your ETA in the immigration system faster upon check-in at the airport.

Applicants can apply for this visa from 23 March 2013.

This visa is for those who hold eligible passports who intend to visit Australia for:

  • Tourism including holidays, recreation and seeing family and/or friends, or
  • Business visitor activities purposes which may include attending a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit.

No. Each family member travelling with you to Australia will need a separate ETA.

Choosing which visa you have to visit Australia relies on upon to what extent you will be going to the nation and whether you anticipate working. On the off chance that you anticipate working in the nation, then you will need to either contact an Australian Embassy/Immigration or an organisation that particularly handles work visas.

On the off chance that you are going to Australia for tourism and your outing is 3 months or less, a vacationer subclass 601 visa (ETA) is your best choice.

On the off chance that you plan on going to for essential non-meeting expectations business needs then you are obliged to buy a subclass 601 business ETA visa.

Your ETA lets you:

  • enter Australia for up to three months at a time
  • have a holiday or visit family and friends in Australia
  • study in Australia for up to three months, in some circumstances
  • Work as a genuine unpaid volunteer, but only if an Australian resident would not otherwise be paid to do that type of work (you can be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses such as meals and accommodation).
  • engage in business visitor activities while in Australia, provided you:
    • do not work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia
    • Do not sell goods or services to the public.

Business visitor activities include:

  • making general business or employment enquiries
  • investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
  • activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
  • Participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.

No. ETA is an electronically stored authority for travel to Australia and is linked electronically to your passport. It can be seen by staff at airlines, travel agencies and Australian border agencies

Yes. The Australian government does not restrict entry on passports with less than 6 months validity. However, we recommend that your intended departure date is within the validity of your passport.

No. Your ETA is linked to the passport number you used in your application and thus if you have obtained a new passport, you must apply for a new ETA.

If you wish to stay in Australia for longer period, you should apply another type of visa, such as a Visitor visa (Subclass 600) before your current ETA expires.

No. ETA does not permit you to work in Australia. In case you wish to work in Australia you may visit the Australian consulate or the embassy to learn about the procedure to obtain a visa that facilitates one to work in Australia.

Once you receive the confirmation mail of ETA approval, all your name and passport information will be active and valid in the ETA immigration system. Airlines, travel agents, cruise companies and immigration officials have similar system to verify your visa status. Your passport will be swiped at check-in, electronically verifying visa status in ETA system.

  • The cost of ETA is USD 20 to USD 45 which includes processing fee, service fee and ETA fee.

Once you submit the application form and the form is processed from our end, refund is not applicable. In the event an error happens from our end, we will re-submit the application form after necessary corrections without any additional cost. In case the application form is rejected by the Australian Government authorities, refund is not applicable.